Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Carpe Diem #1189 thaw (yukidoke)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today I have a not so well known kigo for you, at least to me this kigo I didn't know, but maybe that;s because English is not my maiden language. As I choose this kigo I wasn't aware of its meaning, so maybe there are more of you who don't know this word.

Today's kigo is "thaw (or yukidoke)" and I think I have to tell you a little bit more about what it is. So I searched the Internet and found the following meaning of "thaw":

Here are two meanings of thaw:

# a period of warmer weather that thaws ice and snow. ("the thaw came yesterday afternoon")
# an increase in friendliness or cordiality. ("a thaw in relations between the USA and the USSR")

That second meaning is not what is meant as a kigo I think, but of course you can use it in your response, For the sake of haiku and its classical kigo for spring I have to use that first meaning to use in my response.

thaw (melting icicles)
What an awesome image to show you what thaw is. This image brought me also the inspiration for my response. I have tried to catch it in a tanka, not following the classical rules by the way.

spring has arrived
icicles at the gutter thaw
drip, drip, drip

the sound of thawing water
arouses my senses


© Chèvrefeuille

And (of course) I had to challenge myself by writing a classical haiku, but ... that wasn't easy:

icicles melting
frozen water fluid again
ah! the sound of water


© Chèvrefeuille

As I stated earlier here this month, those classical haiku look so artificial, but well ... I have to follow my own rule this month (smiles).

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until April 16th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new episode, spring wind, later on.


1 comment:

  1. I appreciate classical haiku...and glad to see you're trying it this month too, Kristjaan!

    ReplyDelete